top of page
Centre for Neuropsychology and Emotional Wellness Frequently Asked Questions


Have a question? Below are answers to some frequently asked questions. For any other questions, please feel free to contact us.

  • What are the fees?
    Fees range from $150 to $240 per session. Students and Psychotherapists are at the low end of the fee range; social workers and individuals who are completing their year of supervised practice towards registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario are in the mid-range; and fully registered independent Psychologists are at the high end of the fee range. Unfortunately fees are not covered by OHIP. However, psychological sessions are often covered by extended health insurance. We recommend checking your private or extended health care benefits plan prior to calling to see if you have coverage for Registered Psychology, Social Work and Psychotherapist. Psychologist services are considered a medical expense and are often tax deductible. Payment can be made by debit, cheque or electronic money transfer.
  • Do I need a referral from my doctor?
    A doctor referral is not required to seek psychological services.
  • What is a neuropsychologist?
    A neuropsychologist is a psychologist whose area of expertise deals with the relationship between the brain and behaviour. A neuropsychologist understands how brain structures and systems that are related to behavior and thinking work. A neuropsychologist focuses on how injuries or illnesses of the brain affect cognitive functions and behaviors. In order to practice as a neuropsychologist, the practitioner must have earned a PhD in psychology from an accredited university program which typically involves completing 10 years of specialized training and education. The practitioner also must complete a minimum two years of training under the supervision of a neuropsychologist. In addition, they have to pass mandatory examinations to become licensed for independent practice in their province.
  • How long will therapy take?
    Treatment length depends on a number of factors, including the nature and severity of the problem and the needs of the client. Sometimes, referrals to adjunct services may be recommended if necessary. Some people may only need a few sessions (e.g., 3-4) whereas others may need to be in treatment for longer (e.g., 10-12 sessions or more). The number of sessions required can be discussed as therapy progresses.
  • How do I make an appointment?
    Please call our main telephone number 905-686-8110 Ext 1 or email us at Our intake coordinator will ask a few questions to make sure we can help you and to set up an appointment with a therapist/psychologist that is the best fit for you or your child. The client coordinate will also answer any questions you may have about our services.
  • What happens in the first session?
    Usually in the first session, the psychologist or therapist will gather a lot of information about you including your childhood to adulthood experiences, family background, education/work history, and nature of important relationships. You will also be asked to complete an intake form before the session to provide information about your background. This information is used to fully understand the root causes for your issues before creating an individualized treatment plan. This first session is also important for you to get to know your therapist so feel free to ask questions either during this session, or at any time during your therapy.
  • What if I want to stop therapy and switch to a different psychologist?
    At any time, if you wish to stop therapy, it is your right to withdraw from treatment. In order to best serve you, it is important to give feedback to your therapist along the way and share if there is anything you may be dissatisfied about in treatment. If you think that perhaps another psychologist or therapist may be better suited to help you, please call or email us and our client coordinator know so we can help find another therapist or professional who may be better suited to assist you
  • Do you provide assessment or therapy through a third party such as car insurance?
    Yes, we do provide evaluations with car insurance and WSIB.
  • Do you prescribe medication?
    No, your family doctor or a psychiatrist can prescribe medications for you, and we may recommend a referral to a psychiatrist or a medication review with your family doctor.
  • What’s the difference between psychologist, social worker and psychotherapist?
    Psychologists, social worker, psychological associate and psychotherapists all provide psychotherapy. Their training and licensing requirements are different. A Psychologist and a Psychological Associate are licensed to provided psychological services by the College of Psychologists of Ontario. Psychologists have completed a Ph.D. or Psy.D. (doctorate) in clinical psychology and have completed a year-long internship before beginning their registration process with the College. A psychologist can provide a mental health diagnosis. Psychological Associates have a Master’s degree in clinical or counselling psychology, and go through the same supervised practice and registration process as Psychologists. A Registered Psychotherapist is licensed through the College of Psychotherapists of Ontario, which ensures they have enough training to provide the “controlled act” of psychotherapy. Psychotherapists usually have a Master’s degree in psychology. A Social Worker is licensed through the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers. Social workers attend graduate school in social work, earning an MSW (master of social work) or LCSW (licensed clinical social worker) degree. Training typically includes two years of coursework and practical experience working at agencies in the community.
  • What languages do you offer services in?
    We offer services in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.
bottom of page